Friday, April 9, 2010

Anyone for a sugar fix?





Somewhere underneath this mountain of marshmallow confection lies a birthday cake of unknown proportion. I had my doubts about its actual existence until I read the description on the side of the container.

I'll have to say that on occasion I've fallen victim to most of the well known French temptations: pain au chocolat, chocolate eclairs, tarte tatin, frozen Mystères and crêpes, crêpes and more crêpes but the idea of consuming this suspisciously American looking dessert only made my teeth hurt.

I've made a deal with myself while in France this month, to avoid the consumption of calorie laden sweets............. Oh, who am I kidding? The most I can hope for is to REDUCE my consumption of calorie laden sweets................... As a matter of fact, the stress of trying to completely ELIMINATE calorie laden sweets from my diet will be enough to increase my cortisol levels to the point of involuntary weight gain. Better to go with the honest calorie and be done with it.

That said, I'm happy to report that there were an awful lot of those "cakes" still sitting on the display table in the supermarché as we walked past. Perhaps the French aren't as easily influenced afterall to partake in this All-American "sport"!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do sugar. Nah, just kidding...... But trying not to anyways. Ho Sandy try to find this book about sugar was considered as a drug. It was wrote by a famous French "brain" such as Voltaire or whoever.It was wrote in this period of time. Sugar, and simple pleasure where described and sugar as merely, barely legal ;-)) I can't remember who wrote it. I was young and clever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And my memory does not love me so much these days.Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc, perhaps you are eating too much sugar!

    ReplyDelete