Monday, April 5, 2010

On the road to ruin.....NOT


Temptation rears its ugly head at every corner, especially now that Mark and I are in France. I was happy with the fact that I had lost another 2 pounds by the end of 4 weeks of "training" but I knew that my plans were in jeopardy once we boarded the plane enroute to France.

We arrived in Paris early yesterday morning and finally made it to our final destination of Lannion after going through what felt like our own version of "Trains, Planes and Automobiles".

Sitting in Envoy Class (U.S.Airways version of 1st Class) with its newly installed sleeper beds, was a pleasant touch, even though I managed only about two hours sleep during the night. My lack of rest was probably due to the guilty feelings over too little exercise and too much food during the previous few days.

I tried to strike a "happy medium" on the flight by only indulging in one glass of white wine and avoiding the decadent chocolate cake that was offered after my meal. I opted instead for a slightly less sinful selection of cheeses, crackers and fruit along with a cup of coffee. For breakfast, I turned down the fruit and nut loaf and went with yogurt, granola and fresh fruit.

Since we got our exercise, schlepping our heavy bags from one terminal to the next and into various trains, buses and cars, I felt semi-vendicated for not having practiced my yoga for several days.

Upon our arrival at our friend's house in Lannion, we were treated to tea with French pastries and after a rest of several hours we enjoyed glasses of Cremant, Alsace's versian of champagne, along with a delicious and healthy salad platter of sliced tomatoes, lettuce, hearts of palm, boiled potatoes and thinly sliced, smoked duck. More guilty pleasures of sorbet drizzled with Calvados (Normandy apple brandy) and a slice of fudgy, chocolate torte accompanied by two small chocolate Easter eggs rounded out our meal.

These small indulgences (or perhaps, rather large endulgences) may play havoc with my weight loss plans but with continued exercise, I just may be able to stave off added pounds while I enjoy my little slice of paradise!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Sandy.

    Think bicycle for exercises.
    You can have a ride in the forest nearby André's. There plenty to bike around Lannion. Raincoats are mandatory by me own experience :-)) Beware there is also plenty of up and very down so going too far might be exhausting. Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy. I'm just now getting a chance to read your blog. That's a nice photo of you in Envoy class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Retirement" is doing well for you!!

    ReplyDelete