Thursday, June 10, 2010

A dose of reality, French style


I have come to the honest realization that there are some things which will remain completely out of my control, at least while in France. This would be, eating a meal which didn't include a certain amount of butter, sugar, alcohol or bread.
It's not really because of my lack of willpower or a delicious array of toothsome desserts fighting for my attention in the market. It's because I'm not about to turn down the pan fried homegrown new potatoes from our friend's organic vegetable garden or the homemade rhubarb tart with apple sorbet and fresh cherries. Of course a glass of wine from another friend's organic vineyard is le veritable eau de vie, while breakfast wouldn't be breakfast without a crusty "French stick" fresh from the corner boulangerie.
Maybe I'm making excuses or maybe I'm just enjoying a great meal with good friends, while making enough memories to outlast any extra calories I might consume. Moderation is the key but common sense is the lock which holds together the links of a lifetime. If we all forge our own chains in this life, I want mine to be held together by the laughter from a baudy Breton joke, the loving care put into the making of a fine five hour meal and the heady feel from one too many glasses of homegrown red wine.
"Carpe diem" was the trendy phrase from years past which is just as applicable today as it was back then. I'm not only going to seize the day, I'm going to wring out as much life as I can, then swing it around my head and let it fly.
I've been asked by friends several times, if I will be stomping grapes when I work the harvest in France this Fall. In my mind's eye, I can see myself kneedeep in a barrel, arm in arm with Lucy and Èthel, as we create the stuff from which dreams are made.



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sandy.

    Are you trained enough for the grape harvest (not wine harvest hey!)If not get a chill about it at :
    http://www.citizenside.com/en/photos/unusual/2008-09-06/9509/the-medoc-marathon.html

    Don't forget to check my psychedelic blog : http://flooxoo.blogspot.com/

    Marc.

    ReplyDelete