Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Emotions are for Eating....and other myths


I've been to Phoenix twice now, in a little over two weeks time and it has rained everyday, both times that I've been there. Every other day it has been beautiful, except for when the wheels of my aircraft touch the ground.
I arrived with a cold and left two days later with an even worse one, after walking in the rain from the bus stop to my friend's house.......no jacket.... no umbrella......no warmth.....no sun. I had a dental appointment to make later that day, after which I would hop a flight back home....right.

Phoenix is currently in the middle of "Spring break". Trying to get an empty seat (standby) on a flight during Spring break is like trying to get Congress to give up their private health plans in order to sign up for Obama's new national healthcare system. Ain't gonna happen.

Four hours later as I was headed to the hotel, I suddenly realized that I am an "emotional" eater. I suppose I knew that but I just didn't want to admit it as I was stuffing my face with all those Hershey's kisses three weeks earlier.
My day, had not gone well. I was informed by my dental office that my insurance had been disapproved.....something about them not agreeing that my broken crowns needed to be replaced. I was informed by my sister that my elderly dad, who had gone in for an outpatient procedure that morning, had to be hospitalized because of the blockage in his gall bladder and now, feeling like crap, I would have to stay in a hotel because I was silly enough to travel during the busiest week of the year outside of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My exercise, aside from walking for miles in the airport, hadn't gone as planned either and my meals were certainly deteriorating to near junk food levels. Before I knew it, I had downed an entire 4 oz bag of Trader Joe's freeze dried, crunchy green beans and was dangerously eyeing the loaded hotdogs at Nathan's hotdog stand at the end of the concourse. Instead, I opted for a turkey wrap at Paradise Bakery, only to discover later that tortilla wrapped "anything" usually has more carbs in it than regular bread. Sigh........

That's okay though. I realize that this journey of mine is not guaranteed to be easy. There will be great days, not so great days and downright crappy days but as long as I stick to the green beans instead of hot dogs, the rest will sort itself out.







































No comments:

Post a Comment