Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Green tea, sashimi and hold the rice




Sticking to a dedicated system while traveling can result in setbacks for those who are not experienced road warriors. Fast forward two days to Phoenix, Arizona, as I take my fitness plan on the road.

This trip had been planned weeks ago, so it was necessary to change my eating habits from home cooked meals to restaurant prepared grub. The downside to restaurant food is that it is generally flavorless but what is even worse is its extraordinarily high fat content, combined with its dubious origins.


Mark and I have made it a point for the past several years to eat organically as much as possible. It's not an easy proposition since many stores do not carry organic products and when they do, the shelves are lined with rubbery, bruised or moldy specimens of fruit and veg, far past their sell dates. Organic products carry a higher price tag but the benefit of pesticide free food far outweighs the drain on the pocketbook. As I always tell Mark, "You pay now or you pay later." He hates it when I say that.


Organic restaurants are few and far between so I usually try to find sushi restaurants when I'm on the road. It is easy to find simply prepared dishes without alot of hidden fats or ingredients. My mouth was watering for some juicy slices of sashimi on this particular day so I headed to "Ra" to satisfy my craving. The thought of eating slabs of raw fish may not appeal to everyone but the creamy, smooth texture of a slice of raw salmon rates high in flavor as well as Omega 3 fatty acids. As a matter of fact, I had such an excellent lunch that I've already made up my mind to come back for more of the same tomorrow!


Even though I'm far from my local gym and our elliptical machine, I can still maintain my exercise regimine using my yoga dvd. There are also no excuses to remain motionless while visiting the desert in the Spring.......except when it decides to rain everyday......can't win them all.




No comments:

Post a Comment