Friday, March 19, 2010

Would you please not do your "Down Dog" in my office?


Now that I've "upped" my yoga practice from twice weekly to daily sessions, I've completely embraced the feeling of the inverted position, otherwise known as the Downward Facing Dog, or Down Dog, for short.

I remember the first time I tried this maneuver, with hands and feet placed wide apart on the ground, posterior facing skyward and head dangling upside down, somewhere in the middle. As the blood rushes to your skull it is supposed to rejuvenate the brain.......I thought my head was going to explode.

This is the "resting position" in yoga, like a dog stretching after a good nap. Ha! Just let me go lay down on a bed of nails, I thought. It's not the easiest thing in the world, trying to breathe as your head throbs and your eyeballs bulge.

As with anything, it gets easier with practice and I now feel incomplete unless I "invert" myself numerous times throughout the day. The stretch on the muscles is incredible. It improves posture, balance and I swear that I think more clearly when I give the blood a chance to circulate through my little grey cells.

I will, however, have to be a little more careful about my "down dog" practice location. My husband finds it a bit difficult to carry on a serious conversation with me when I spontaneously strike a pose during office hours.
Quick update....another week, another 1 and 1/2 pounds.....total 5 pounds! Woo hooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment