Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A New Direction

Unaware of how my life was about to change, I sat reading the latest e-mail update from Domaine Rouge-Bleu, http://rouge-bleu.com/, the vineyard owned by my friends, Jean-Marc and Kristin Espinasse and their two children.

A call had gone out for additional helpers for the 2010 grape harvest on their 20 acre organic vineyard in Sainte-Cécile-Les-Vignes, a small town north of Marseilles. The opportunity was described as a “unique physical and spiritual experience, requiring good health and no back issues”. Sounded almost like a matchmaking service for body and soul. Hmmmm, did I have what it takes to put myself through 10 non-stop days of hard labor in these French “killing fields”?

From over four thousand miles away, it felt like I was being drawn into another life, not exactly against my own will but perhaps, as others might say, against my better judgement. This is something I'd wanted to do but circumstances had always prevented me from acting. After a quick consultation and "thumbs up" from my husband, Mark, the wheels began to turn rapidly.

When I informed Jean-Marc of my intention to sign on for this gargantuan task, I could sense a bit of reticence on his part. Maybe it was the note that he sent back to me saying.....

Dearest Sandy,

We will hold a seat for you. Please be aware that this is a hard job even if I am sure that you have all the physical capacities to do it. If you change your mind, that is fine. I will let you think about it until the end of the month.

Take care,

Jean-Marc

Was he trying to bolster my confidence or perhaps his own? Well okay, I'm halfway into my 5th decade but I've always been in good shape.....ballet as an adolescent, competitive ice dancing as a young adult. I still hit the gym twice a week for yoga and we do have an ellipical machine at home that I use for my workouts.

I know....who am I trying to convince....him or me?

No comments:

Post a Comment